Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My motivation.

One week from today on May 19, I meet the twenty-five other crazy participants in this adventure from coast to coast. It'll be a crazy week between now and then, but I'm living every minute of it.

Over the last few months, people from Wilmington, DE and home in Toledo, OH have been constantly asking what is next in my life. As I describe this upcoming bike trip, it's been so much fun to watch the facial expressions of the person with whom I'm talking. Some people respond with sheer excitement. Neal, a 70-year old retired phys. ed teacher who volunteers at Habitat, almost tackled me with envy as he realized that I was not only going to live my dream, but also live his dream of cycling from the east coast to his native state of Oregon.

Other people's reactions have been of slight confusion. As I describe the route which crosses the central portion of the US and then ascends the Rockies and continues north to the Oregon coast. The person scratches their head, tilts it sideways, and in slight shock utters: "Oh..... you mean.... you're cycling across this country.... the United States?"

There have been a few times in my life when I stop and wonder "What am I getting myself into?"

With all that said, I wanted to share with you the video that enticed me to participate in this trip. It's a collection of memories from the 2007 trip lead by Bike and Build across the central US. When I saw it, I knew that I had to do it. Here it is.

I'll leave you with a quote form Hunter S. Thompson:

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, ‘Wow! What a Ride!”

Thanks for reading.

-Dave

1 comment:

  1. David,
    Just be sure to slide in holding the hand of the Lord or nothing counts. If you do, you will loudly proclaim "Glory!" Diligently seeking the Lord in all you do along the way is what is missing from that description of what our journey should be.
    Kelly Geddis

    ReplyDelete